digital camera

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:52:52 -0700

On Sunday, January 12, 2003 8:37 AM, Will Totten wrote:

> I got a Vivitar Vivicam 3615 usb camera for christmas.
> Anyone point me in the right direction to get it working
> with redhat 7.3?

Here's what I did to get my Sony DSC S75 digital camera working with RedHat
8.0, using KDE3 as my windowing environment.

First, I created the mountpoint for my camera (mkdir -m 775 /mnt/camera).

Next, I created mount ("sony_mount") and unmount ("sony_unmount") icons in
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/devices.  These are for the Desktop icon I
created (see below).  To create the icons, I went to Sony's website and
downloaded an image of my camera model, and modified it in the Gimp so that
it was the right size.  For the sony_mount icon, I also added the same
little green triangle the other mount icons have.

Then, I created an FSDevice icon called "Sony" on my KDE3 desktop.  I simply
created a file called ~/Desktop/Sony, the contents of which are:

[Desktop Entry]
Dev=/dev/sda1
Encoding=UTF-8
FSType=Default
Icon=sony_mount
MountPoint=/mnt/camera
ReadOnly=false
Type=FSDevice
UnmountIcon=sony_unmount

(You can also do this from the GUI by right clicking on the Desktop, but I
thought this way was easier.)

When I plug my Sony DSC-S75 into a USB port and power on the camera, I get
the following in my /var/log/messages:

Jan  6 11:37:24 williams kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
assigned device number 2
Jan  6 11:37:24 williams kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x54c/0x10)
is not claimed by any active driver.
Jan  6 11:37:28 williams /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for USB
product 54c/10/328
Jan  6 11:37:28 williams kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Jan  6 11:37:28 williams kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
Jan  6 11:37:28 williams kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
devices
Jan  6 11:37:28 williams kernel:   Vendor: Sony      Model: Sony DSC
Rev: 3.28
Jan  6 11:37:28 williams kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Jan  6 11:37:28 williams kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.

You should see something similar.

My Sony camera has a Memory Stick.  It contains a VFAT filesystem with .jpg
and/or .tiff images on it.  To mount the filesystem on the camera's
removable media, I single-click on the Desktop camera icon.  (I could also
do this from the command line:  mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera.)  When
I do this, I see the following in my /var/log/messages file:

Jan  6 11:38:11 williams kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Jan  6 11:38:11 williams kernel: SCSI device sda: 253696 512-byte hdwr
sectors (130 MB)
Jan  6 11:38:11 williams kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
Jan  6 11:38:11 williams kernel:  sda: sda1
Jan  6 11:38:11 williams kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 504

Once the filesystem is mounted, KDE3 launches a Konqueror window and
displays the contents of /mnt/camera.  I see a bunch of .jpg files, which
are the photos I've taken.  I then Copy (or Move) these files to a directory
on my hard drive.  Once they're there, I can edit them with the Gimp, print
them, email them, etc.

When I'm done, I right-click on my Sony icon and select Unmount, and then I
power off my camera and disconnect it.

> I have two programs, gPhoto and gtKam, neither of
> which appear to support my camera.  Thanks in advance
> fo any help you can offer.

For what it's worth, gPhoto doesn't "support" my camera either, but I don't
really need it.

~Jeff