PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #3175 - 12 msgs

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:30:16 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth George Gambill on 1/8/2003 09:02 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Very good point.  I will move the CD to the IDE2 cable and move the second
\_ HD to the IED1 cable as a slave thereby making it hdb.

I seem to remember something that suggested putting the hard drives in
the master spots and the cd on the second slave for optimum
performance.   I also seem remember something about "from listening
comes wisdom and speaking repentance".

\_ (disk drive).  Could there be something called channel contention?  Would
\_ there be any justifiable advantage to replacing the CD ROM with a SCSI type
\_ and leaving the second HD on IDE2 as hdc.

Only if you have a budget that's going to expire with unused funds.
It'd probably be cheaper if this is a real issue for you to buy PCI
EIDE controller card and stuff it on that.  For me, the cd doesn't
spin enough for it to be an issue.  The single hard drive has
something to do with it to.  :-)

There have been claims that some configurations of EIDE raids approach
and perhaps surpass SCSI configs, but somehow cost less.

Don't get me wrong, I like SCSI and all (excepting my woes with a scsi
hd) but to me, the cost:(performance, stability) just isn't there
except in colo'd servers, and even then, I'm have doubts.

YMMV.

It'd probably be more fun to wire the output of lm_sensors temperature
to the thermostat in the room with the money than by a scsi subsystem
for just casual cd rom usage.

David