PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #3175 - 12 msgs

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:02:52 -0700

Yo Alan and BoBB

Alan,

You are exactally right.  This is how the drives are configured.

BoBB,

Very good point.  I will move the CD to the IDE2 cable and move the second
HD to the IED1 cable as a slave thereby making it hdb.

One further thought.  I know that performance can be drastically reduced by
head contention even with a 9ms average access.  Years ago, I could drag an
IBM 370  mainframe to its knees by placing related files on the same volume
(disk drive).  Could there be something called channel contention?  Would
there be any justifiable advantage to replacing the CD ROM with a SCSI type
and leaving the second HD on IDE2 as hdc.