C++ and programming

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:00:47 -0700

Aaron,

Years ago, before object-oriented programming, we had something called
"Structured Code".  Some called it procedural code.

Actually, it was a re-introduction of techniques we used in machine language
days because we couldn't survive without them.

The rules were very simple:

Lots of small routines (we called them subroutines) doing only one thing
(well... maybe a few things).

No routine was to be more than 25 lines (yea right).  (our CRTs displayed 25
lines)

Actually, object-oriented code tends to encourage structured cods.  It's
just that the "sub routines" are attached to objects.

Look for old books about the structured programming revolution by Ed
Yourdon, Tom DeMarco, Larry Constantine, or Chris Gane and Trish Sarson.

My training was from the Yourdon school.  Therefore, I'm more familiar with
Ed Yourdon's writings.  But, I understand the others are equally good.

Hope this helps