Digital Camera help

Entelin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
24 Feb 2003 23:52:11 -0700

Did you get your issue resolved yet? If not heres what you need to do.

First make sure that the usbstorage module is loaded. Also its good to
have the usbdevfs mounted.

To mount the usbdevfs do this. (note it needs to be enabled in the
kernel)
mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb

now connect your camera and turn it on. You should see some stuff
populate in /proc/bus/usb.

have a look at the /proc/bus/usb/drivers file on the I: line at the end
you will see what driver your kernel has loaded for your device if
anything. Make shure is reads Driver=usb-storage like mine below.

S:  Manufacturer=Sony
S:  Product=Sony DSC
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=ff Prot=01
Driver=usb-storage

once you verify that it has gotten the correct driver try to mount it
with this. (it uses a fat like filesystem you can use msdos or vfat).

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 ./cam

and you should be good then.

If your kernel did not connect a driver to your usb device it may not
have been compiled with the correct ID number for the device. First try
a new kernel if yours is more out of date. When I got my camera I was
using 2.4.5 over a year ago, and it was not included I had to edit the
kernel to get it to connect.

the file drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h  containes all the driver
mappings for that stuff. You may have luck editing that as I did.

good luck!