Hi - new to list!

Liberty Young plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
05 Feb 2003 15:03:30 -0700

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 14:32, Jenny Charlene wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 February 2003 08:59 am, Ted Gould wrote:
> Thanks Ted,  I'm with you about half the way,
>
> > 1) To set up modules to autoload on boot you need to put them in your
> > /etc/modules.conf.  This will tell your system what to load on boot up.
>
> Ok, not a problem, but what do I type in? I need to have these modules loaded:
> uhci
> usb-storage
look at the man pages for modules.conf (or google for the man pages)
in my system, since I don't have usb stuff compiled in statically, here
are the relevant lines in /etc/modules.conf:

alias usb-interface usb-uhci

The hotplugging scripts (again, google for them and see what docs you
can find) _should_ take care of loading up usb-storage AND scsi_mod

At that point, you be able to fdisk or mount /dev/sda (or sdb, depending
on if you already have scsi or scsi emulated devices on your system).

I use CompactFlash cards through a usb-dongle on a daily basis. Word of
the wise: Make sure your kernel is fairly current! I have troubles with
USB and CF cards on anything less than a 2.4.19...though it does work
well on a Mandrake 8.2 2.4.18 kernel.
Somehow, with a stock 2.4.19, i have little trouble, though my co-worker
still has a heap of trouble on his machine.
Hopefully a stable 2.6.x kernel will have better USB support