Hi - new to list!

Jenny Charlene plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:32:35 -0700

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 08:59 am, Ted Gould wrote:
Thanks Ted,  I'm with you about half the way,

> 1) To set up modules to autoload on boot you need to put them in your
> /etc/modules.conf.  This will tell your system what to load on boot up.

Ok, not a problem, but what do I type in? I need to have these modules loaded:
uhci
usb-storage

> 2) To set up modules to autoload when you plug in a device you need to
> look in /etc/hotplug.

Look for what? I don't know the format of what to type in/look for.

> Now, depending on the device you are trying to plug in, I'm guessing
> that no one has entered the USB device id's into the tree that RedHat is
> using.  You can find a complete listing for Linux at
> http://linux-usb.org but that doesn't mean that it's in RedHat.  (There
> was a better site somewhere, but I can't find it, if someone knows the
> URL please post it).

No, my flashcard reads is recognized by the system, when I've loaded the
modules manually. I think the biggest problem is that module "uhci" (which
runs the host controller) dosen't get loaded on start up, so the kernel
doens't even know that it has usb, so not recognizing the cardreader doen't
really surprise me.

> How do you find said ids?  The best way is to look in /var/log/messages
> as you plug in the device.  You'll see a lot of test scroll by and that
> will have your devices in it.  You'll probably also see a message that
> it wasn't recognized.

Nope, here's the log, after I've manually loaded the mods:
l: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
:   Vendor: SIIG      Model: CompactFlash Car  Rev: 0113
:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
: SCSI device sda: 250881 512-byte hdwr sectors (128 MB)
: sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
:  sda: sda1
: USB Mass Storage support registered.

Thanks!
--
Take care,
Jenny

Random quote of the day:
Horner's Five Thumb Postulate:
	Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.