OT: Surface-Mount Parts Repair

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
24 Apr 2003 21:21:18 -0700

--=-A8Z8mO9dm2uVfhGbyQIK

I'd agree on the digi-key recommendation.  As for soldering, you'd
probably want to do it under a microscope.  All the surface mount
soldering I've done I did with a microscope and it wasn't that hard.=20
There is some technique to it, the big thing is being very careful, and
double checking all your work.  You might grab an old board of some kind
and pop off a couple resistors, then put them back on first.

		Good luck,
			Ted

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 12:01, Don Calfa wrote:
> I used to order all sorts of caps from digi-key.  They have a web site=20
> digi-key.com.  Not too sure if they still stock alot of the weird stuff.
>=20
> ed@flat5.net wrote:
>=20
> >     I need to replace a surface-mount part due to mechanical damage to =
the=20
> >old one. It's on the processor board in a notebook computer. Markings on=
 the=20
> >itsby-bitsy little broken part (lead broken off) are "33-6" and a stripe=
 next=20
> >to one of the two connections. The board is marked "C33" and one connect=
ion=20
> >is marked "+". The part is approximately 2x2x3 mm (maybe less).
> >     A couple of questions:
> >1) I'm guessing this is a 33 ufd tantalum capacitor. Agree?
> >2) Assuming I get a tiny-tip soldering iron, is this something a mere hu=
man is=20
> >likely to be able to replace or would I be better off taking it somewher=
e=20
> >(WHERE?) and letting someone else do it who has "the proper equipment?"
> >3) Where in town can I find the part (I've already been to Fry's on=20
> >Thunderbird and Tri-Tek Electronics on Peoria, both in the NW quarter of=
 the=20
> >Valley)? Apparently 33 ufd is larger than most places stock.
> >     TIA!
> >
> > =20

--=-A8Z8mO9dm2uVfhGbyQIK

--=-A8Z8mO9dm2uVfhGbyQIK--