suggestions for "value added services" on the plug website

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
16 Apr 2003 23:53:54 -0700

--=-KZwGWQQIdAEuO7CxOr9P

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 23:07, technomage wrote:
>=20
> ok,
> after some discussion amongst a small group on irc, I've got a few=20
> suggestions:
> 1. place a java applet on the site that will allow easy access to the irc=
=20
> server with a single click

Heaven's no Batman.  Java is satan's spawn. =20

Try CGI:IRC ( http://cgiirc.sourceforge.net/ )

You can see it in action here:
http://ash.gnuenterprise.org/cgi-bin/irc-proxy/irc.cgi

> 2. re-initiate a live streaming session (shoutcast) audio only from both =
the=20
> east and west-side meetings and have feedback via irc for questions.

This would be cool.  Would love it.  Use Gstreamer it works nicely. :)

> 3. hold an e-stammtisch on a moderated forum in irc (this is very possibl=
e and=20
> will allow the "speaker" to make his point and at least control some of t=
he=20
> "off topic" commentary.

This is an idea, but please can we move to real irc network instead of a
lone box hanging off someone's broadband.  There are significant
advantages to something like freenode.  Mainly its puts lots of
'experts' close at hand.  Someone comes to plug channel looking for an
answer an no foo expert is around, we can point them to the foo channel
for more direct response.

> there are a few other points, but I haven't digested them yet to post her=
e. I=20
> would like extra input (and place folks, do USE the server, thats what it=
s=20
> there for!).

I think there are some cool Jabber to IRC gateways too for those that
dont irc, but do IM.

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise