suggestions for "value added services" on the plug website

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:05:49 -0700

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 11:19 pm, der.hans wrote:
> Am 16. Apr, 2003 schw=E4tzte technomage so:
> > 1. place a java applet on the site that will allow easy access to the i=
rc
> > server with a single click
>
> Sorry. That's not Free Software. I adamantly vote against java.

The CGI:IRC alternative looks great (thanks Derek). I am the one guilty of=
=20
suggesting the applet approach. Regardless of how it's done, the idea was t=
o=20
have a "try it now" option next to the channel description so people can=20
(hopefully) determine that the channel is worthwhile before moving on.

> > 2. re-initiate a live streaming session (shoutcast) audio only from both
> > the east and west-side meetings and have feedback via irc for questions.
>
> I think we can do this. At least for the East Side meetings. Let's get th=
at
> rolling, then we can work on helping other locations. OTOH, if foodog wan=
ts
> to beat us to the punch and have it working next Tuesday it'd awesome :).

The intent was to have someone monitoring the IRC channel for questions dur=
ing=20
the meetings. During our IRC discussion last night, a remote user (Casa=20
Grande?) was interested, as he's otherwise unable to attend. Something that=
=20
would allow him to hear/see live, and ask questions via IRC would be great.

If the streaming were developed to accomodate low-bandwidth users, this ide=
a=20
could be used to extend PLUG beyond Phoenix proper. I can see a "AZ-wide=20
Meeting" coninciding with the east and west side meetings.

The tricks are then:

1. Get streaming working again, in either the previous form, or something=20
accomodating of low bandwidth.
2. Someone to attend IRL *AND* monitor the IRC channel for questions.
3. Announce the capability to potential attendees.

> > 3. hold an e-stammtisch on a moderated forum in irc (this is very
> > possible and will allow the "speaker" to make his point and at least
> > control some of the "off topic" commentary.
>
> I've tried to get multiple Stammtisch locations going, but no one has
> volunteered to make it happen. Choose a location and we can announce it.
> "irc" is mostly a location, so that works :). If it's going to be part of
> the GNU/Linux Stammtisch it needs to be unmoderated. Part of the goal of
> the Stammtisch is to allow free discussion.

Moderation was suggested based on unhappy experiences in the current #PLUG=
=20
channel. "slackware rules, your distro sucks" was the rule, often followed =
by=20
"windows rules, linux sucks". There has also been a lot of PLUG bashing=20
that's not helpful. If nothing else, selective muzzling to avoid destroying=
=20
the usefulness of the event would be a good thing.

> [...]
> irc meetings with topics/presentations might be pretty cool. If you want =
> start those I'd suggest an every other month thing like we do with devel =
> make it easier to get presenters. If you feel you have enough, though, ma=
ke
> it monthly.

Running IRC events with separate agendas was another idea we kicked around=
=20
last night. One thought is that "speakers" could prepare a HOWTO or=20
presentation on the topic of interest that would be posted some time before=
=20
the event (ideally at least a week). Those interested could view the online=
=20
material, then "meet" with the author/presenter for Q&A and discussion at a=
=20
specified time via IRC. Having logs of the session posted on the web site=20
would add further value.

I've presented at a few PLUG sessions over the years (bash, security and=20
routing), and while I always enjoyed doing it, making the live events has=20
always been a challenge. This might encourage participation.

The last item we discussed was some sort of polling capability to help sele=
ct=20
topics. To start with, maybe have a volunteer willing to cover several topi=
cs=20
during a scheduled event, then let the poll help determine which.

Just some ideas. I'll gladly participate if this gets off the ground.

=2D Bob