The LUGOD Challenge

Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:10:36 -0700 (MST)

Am 16. Apr, 2003 schw=E4tzte Alan Dayley so:

> On Wednesday 16 April 2003 15:22, Jim wrote:
> > I offer you a link to the Linux User Group of Davis (CA).  Take a look
> > at how much a very active group of Linux users are doing.  Then think
> > about how we can take PLUG to that level.
> >
> > LUGOD is at http://www.lugod.org/
> >
> > It can serve as a good example of what AZOTO can become too.  They offe=
> > services and activities that any group would be proud of.
> >
> > Now comes the reality.  LUGOD doesnt pull that stuff off with a small
> > core group of people.  They have lots of people who are very active in
> > LUGOD.  I guess the real question we need to ask is does PLUG have the
> > kind of members who can do what LUGOD is doing?  I say we do.  I say if
> > we get a bunch of members to donate a few hours a week, we can be as
> > good as LUGOD and maybe even better.

Phoenix is huge. We have lots of people here. We need to get more involved.
Luckily that also means we have more people using GNU/Linux :).

> - Anyone that is registered with the PLUG web site can submit an article,
> review, link, etc. for posting.  ANYONE.  Of the 244 (That's right, 244!)
> registered members, very few post anything.  Why is that?

To be honest, I was against this until a couple of weeks ago. The site is
our public interface. But, I realized that we, as a group, must control our
public interface, so now I stand with Alan on this topic with one caveat. W=
need to implement foodog's suggestion that we have some "about PLUG" info a=
at the top of the page. We need to do a better job of explaining what PLUG
is and making sure people can find out about our activities.

> -- What are your favorite web sites?  Post it in links!

There are places for that. If we need a link topic that doesn't exist email
it to PLUG-webdev@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us.

> -- Like the meeting you just attended?  Write up a summary and post it as=
 an
> article!  For example, Appoint yourself as the "Stammtisch" reporter and =
post
> a summary story every month after the meeting.

We can definitely use this!

> -- What questions about LInux do you find yourself answering a lot?  Post
> them, and the answer if you have it, to the web site!

The FAQ could use a lot of work ( as FAQs almost always can ).

> - The AZSTRUT computer recycle day is on the 26th.  Someone going to prom=
ote
> that to the group?  An announcement article on the web site, perhaps?  I =
know
> several PLUGgers talk about this regularly on the discuss-list but I have=
n't
> heard anything from them about it.

I didn't know about this.

> - Does your company use Linux in it's products or in it's operations?  Wr=
ite
> it up, post it or present it!  Bring the product to a meeting and show it
> off, like what happened at the last Devel meeting!

We want to start doing a little show and tell with the devel meetings. Toys
are good :).

> PLUG can be and do so much more than we are doing already!  I contribute =
where
> I can and it doesn't take that much time to make a big difference.  Just
> watch TV or computer games about an hour or two less each week and put th=
at
> time to YOUR contribution to PLUG.  Like Jim said, great things can happe=
n if
> we just do them.

Volunteer organizations depend on volunteers to make things happen. Duh :).
Many volunteers donating a little time can make a huge difference. There
are a few of us that put a lot of time into PLUG, but we need help. Feel
free to step forward and do what you can.

A great way to help is to get others involved. Bring friends. Tell
co-workers about events. Invite grocery clerks ( he hasn't shown up, but,
yes, I started talking to one about my PLUG shirt and he plans on making it
if he ever gets a night off ).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
# To us former windows users, linux IS an easter egg :) I cant remember
# how many times i said to myself "i can do that?" -- BoBB