The LUGOD Challenge

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:14:48 -0700

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 15:22, Jim wrote:
> I offer you a link to the Linux User Group of Davis (CA).  Take a look
> at how much a very active group of Linux users are doing.  Then think
> about how we can take PLUG to that level.
>
> LUGOD is at http://www.lugod.org/
>
> It can serve as a good example of what AZOTO can become too.  They offe=
> services and activities that any group would be proud of.
>
> Now comes the reality.  LUGOD doesnt pull that stuff off with a small
> core group of people.  They have lots of people who are very active in
> LUGOD.  I guess the real question we need to ask is does PLUG have the
> kind of members who can do what LUGOD is doing?  I say we do.  I say if
> we get a bunch of members to donate a few hours a week, we can be as
> good as LUGOD and maybe even better.
>
> Do we?  Can we?  You tell me!

Some things I would like to see:

- Anyone that is registered with the PLUG web site can submit an article,=
=20
review, link, etc. for posting.  ANYONE.  Of the 244 (That's right, 244!)=
=20
registered members, very few post anything.  Why is that?
-- What is your favorite instant messaging client and why?  Post it in=20
reviews!
-- What are your favorite web sites?  Post it in links!
-- Like the meeting you just attended?  Write up a summary and post it as=
 an=20
article!  For example, Appoint yourself as the "Stammtisch" reporter and =
post=20
a summary story every month after the meeting.
-- What questions about LInux do you find yourself answering a lot?  Post=
=20
them, and the answer if you have it, to the web site!

- Dennis took on the job of starting the "PLUG CD service"  Cool!  What o=
ther=20
"services" can you think of to start for PLUG?  Demos at the local Electr=
on=20
Hut?  Software manual printing/binding?  Be creative!

- We have one "official" T-shirt, how about designing another!

- The AZSTRUT computer recycle day is on the 26th.  Someone going to prom=
ote=20
that to the group?  An announcement article on the web site, perhaps?  I =
know=20
several PLUGgers talk about this regularly on the discuss-list but I have=
n't=20
heard anything from them about it.

- The email archives are not searchable.  Who has the skill to add the se=
arch=20
feature?

- Have you helped a friend start using Linux?  How did it go?  Write it u=
p,=20
post it or present it!

- Does your company use Linux in it's products or in it's operations?  Wr=
ite=20
it up, post it or present it!  Bring the product to a meeting and show it=
=20
off, like what happened at the last Devel meeting!

- Etc. ETC...

Let's get excited about this stuff!  People don't know what they are givi=
ng up=20
with the MS EULA's and Linux is just a scary unknown.  The energy we put =
into=20
the organization is what will radiate out to the people we talk to.  Late=
ly=20
it seems we just come to club meetings and have fun in our little clique,=
=20
forgetting that we need to pull more people into the fresh air of Free=20
Software!

PLUG can be and do so much more than we are doing already!  I contribute =
where=20
I can and it doesn't take that much time to make a big difference.  Just=20
watch TV or computer games about an hour or two less each week and put th=
at=20
time to YOUR contribution to PLUG.  Like Jim said, great things can happe=
n if=20
we just do them.

Alan