which distro

Richard L. Proctor plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:21:40 -0700

On Thursday 26 September 2002 8:05 pm, Michael Knee wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm just getting started with Open Source, although I have several years
> experioence with Solaris and HP-UX.  What does the group think are the
> strengths and weaknesses of the various distibutions (Red Hat, Mandrake,
> SuSE)?
>
> Michael knee

Redhat works wonderful with RPM's.  However it doesn't detect a windows XP
installation and you have to add it to lilo if you ever want to boot in to
windows XP.  The menu's seems to be scattered about and no organization to
anything.  However,  Monday I believe 8.0 will be released.

Mandrake is a good distro,  but they didn't include KDE 3.0 in there 8.2
release.  But 9.0 is out now.  I have no visted that one.

SuSE seems to have the best organized distro with everything in yast2.  Basic
Networking, Advanced Networking, and more.  You can even turn DMA on or off
for each device in Yast2. Currently 8.0, however,  I believe next week they
are releasing 8.1.

--
Richard L. Proctor
Krystal Computer Services