which distro

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:44:48 -0400

"Richard L. Proctor" wrote:

> On Thursday 26 September 2002 8:05 pm, Michael Knee wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm just getting started with Open Source, although I have several years
> > experioence with Solaris and HP-UX.  What does the group think are the
> > strengths and weaknesses of the various distibutions (Red Hat, Mandrake,
> > SuSE)?
> >
> > Michael knee
>
> Redhat works wonderful with RPM's.  However it doesn't detect a windows XP
> installation and you have to add it to lilo if you ever want to boot in to
> windows XP.  The menu's seems to be scattered about and no organization to
> anything.  However,  Monday I believe 8.0 will be released.

This is very version dependent.  I installed Red Hat 7.0 on an XP
computer, and it set up lilo perfectly and never even gave me the option
to add or not add XP.  I did the same install using Red Hat 7.2, and it
totally ignored installing lilo, so when I rebooted, it came right up
into XP.

YMMV.

George