Seeking good, inexpensive DSL ISP

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:51:21 -0600

Peter,
    That could be the problem, that the business customers get priority.
Service used to be OK, but lately I've had more difficulty getting through.
Perhaps they've had a layoff, and stretched their support staff too thin.  I
figured I'd give them one more chance, and I did get through to them today,
but the haven't resolved the problem yet.  Actually, it was two problems -
why did a lose all my PLUG messages a few weeks back, and why did I lose
practically everything else a couple of weeks ago?  (As for this post, I
lucked out - I discovered that my old Qwest account is still active!)  I'm
at the point where I'm very dependent on email, and if I don't get my
messages, potential clients will think I'm ignoring them.
    I spoke to both Junior and Jeremy today, and they said that something
about a spam filter gone crazy - that somebody complained about one of the
companies they hosted, and they'd gotten automatically stuck on the spammer
list, and had been unable to get off it yet, because it would take several
days to get off the list.  It seems counterintuitive, though.  If Getnet was
blamed for spamming, wouldn't the messages I send be bounced back, rather
than blocking me from receiving?  Or do they block all the traffic?  It
sounds disgustingly like a denial-of-service attack in disguise.  When I was
doing the newsletter for my IEEE consulting group, I recall a few incidents
where my messages hit some kind of spam filter and bounced back.  Some of
the ISP's (Primenet was pretty fussy, I recalled) didn't seem to like
messages with many addressees.  Others didn't like my vtreude@ieee.org
alias, when I was using that.
    Oh well.  Maybe it's not Getnet's fault.  But if they can't address a
problem like this as number one priority, I don't think they're worth
staying with.

Vaughn