Seeking good, inexpensive DSL ISP

John Olson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:01:24 -0700

www.fastq.com is worth a look.  I know two people who have fastq and
their uptime and bandwidth availability is good.  Running servers is no
problem, and they have various static IP packages.  re: ports, all I
know is that they blocked ports 137, 138 and 139 at one time.  Those
people I know say service is not great but is better than most.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Vaughn
Treude
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 7:51 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Seeking good, inexpensive DSL ISP

Peter,
    That could be the problem, that the business customers get priority.
Service used to be OK, but lately I've had more difficulty getting
through. Perhaps they've had a layoff, and stretched their support staff
too thin.  I figured I'd give them one more chance, and I did get
through to them today, but the haven't resolved the problem yet.
Actually, it was two problems - why did a lose all my PLUG messages a
few weeks back, and why did I lose practically everything else a couple
of weeks ago?  (As for this post, I lucked out - I discovered that my
old Qwest account is still active!)  I'm at the point where I'm very
dependent on email, and if I don't get my messages, potential clients
will think I'm ignoring them.
    I spoke to both Junior and Jeremy today, and they said that
something about a spam filter gone crazy - that somebody complained
about one of the companies they hosted, and they'd gotten automatically
stuck on the spammer list, and had been unable to get off it yet,
because it would take several days to get off the list.  It seems
counterintuitive, though.  If Getnet was blamed for spamming, wouldn't
the messages I send be bounced back, rather than blocking me from
receiving?  Or do they block all the traffic?  It sounds disgustingly
like a denial-of-service attack in disguise.  When I was doing the
newsletter for my IEEE consulting group, I recall a few incidents where
my messages hit some kind of spam filter and bounced back.  Some of the
ISP's (Primenet was pretty fussy, I recalled) didn't seem to like
messages with many addressees.  Others didn't like my vtreude@ieee.org
alias, when I was using that.
    Oh well.  Maybe it's not Getnet's fault.  But if they can't address
a problem like this as number one priority, I don't think they're worth
staying with.

Vaughn