MS2LINUX - Authentication basics

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
09 Oct 2002 12:31:52 -0700

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 17:27, David Mandala wrote:
> Bill I am bit confused would you please be more explicit? Both on the
> NIS "1/2" of your passwd/shadow/group files and on the Linux not
> maintaining the authentication.

basically you can maintain system accounts on the box like root and bin
but have the users on the nis server.  There is a code i think it was ++
that up put after the last system account on the box that was the key to
say pull the rest of the passwd file form the nis server.

Maintaining the authentication the way it works in windows with
different applications and file sharing.  Mozilla can't send your
username and password automatically to the corporate website the way IE
can.  and similar things.  Not a big deal for an admin or someone that
knows what they are doing, but when you are dealing with 700 Sales
people you need everything to be as easy as possible.

--
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.
A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without
bricks tied to its head.