RH 8.0 woes

Phil Mattison plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:31:16 -0700

Wow, after reading the last thread I'm really glad I didn't install my copy
of RH8.0 yet. I was saving it for a weekend when I felt like tinkering, but
I NEVER feel like tinkering THAT much. No one seems to challenge the notion
that RH does a half-@$$ job on x.0 releases, and I find that very
disturbing. After paying $140+ for "free" software, I expect to get
something for my money that's not available if I download the truly free
versions. The only reason for paying is the assumption that RH does due
diligence to see that the included packages work properly and are complete.
I tend to assume that x.0 releases are "major" releases, a culmination of a
larger effort than a minor release. It sounds like RedHat's philosophy is
bass-ackwards. Looks to me like the most economical thing for me to do at
this point is toss that expensive gray box in the trash. My time is worth
more than the $$ lost gambling on RedHat's integrity.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.