Installfest questions....

Mon, 27 May 2002 00:03:52 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. May, 2002 schwätzte Jim so:

> I understand that some of the people coming in will want an Off*ce
> replacement, but not everyone will.  Same thing with Ph*t*sh*p and Gimp.
> What gets installed for a customer should be up to the customer, although a

True. I guess we should have a minimal install-base for each dist that can
get more stuff added per the person's wishes. We should also have a default
install for each dist that has all the basic stuff. It would be good for us
to standardize on packages as much as possible.

> list of available alternatives might be nice to have - just to show them that
> they don't need to pay exorbitant proprietary license fees.

A list of alternatives is good. We should also be demoing stuff, especially
things like open office and gimp. It would be good to have people who know
them really well doing the demos.

> With the wealth of questions and issues floating around, should we try to get
> a face-to-face meeting scheduled?

We can, but I think we're doing really well with the list. Some of the info
needs to start getting organized into docs such as we have with the press
release.

Docs we need:

* web page for the public with more details, etc.
* web page with list of hardware requirements and what to bring
* list of what software/functionality we want to make sure we install
* list of potential demos
* list of potential presentations
* list of hardware we need to have with us

The last three should also track what we've already arranged for.

We also need commitments from a few people to be there. We don't want Bill
to have to try to do 500 installs by himself :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans