Installfest questions....

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 25 May 2002 18:10:25 -0700

Jim wrote:

> We can get the pertinent
> information about the modem from Windoze or from the user.  It would be best,
> however, to have them bring the modem with, assuming it is not internal.
I would choose this as a last resort. External modems are prefered of course.
we should post a link to a page of supported modems. We should have a list of
init strings for modems on hand also.

> Minimum hardware?  How about
>
> Pentium-class CPU
> Minimum 32M memory, the more the better
> Monitor
> Keyboard
> Mouse
> Modem

A CDROM would be nice. If no CD and no NIC, no install ;-(
We will need a box to use as an FTP or HTTP server to do installs sans CDROM.

Some of the newer video cards are a serious pain in the butt. I have been
finding it a little tougher to setup cards with XFree 4.x especially when it
comes to getting the 3d support to work. Sometimes drivers need to be
downloaded for the cards.

I understand that working phone jacks will be available in the room. I would
like to see the user get online with their box and at most have to change the
phone number prefix when they get home, or us change it before they leave but
after testing.

If the person is going to go online with their box, we should get them to
bring in all of the settings for their ISP. (mail, news, ph. number, DNS,
etc.) The way that most ISPs are, they are likely to be a bit stuck if they
try to ask their ISP for help with configuration.

--
Kevin O'Connor

  "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun ...

The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.