Connecting Linux desktop users to a Windows file server?

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:46:36 -0700

I have lines like this in my /etc/fstab for mounting Windows shares to my
Linux workstation:

//ms_file_server/share_name	/mnt/share_name	smbfs
noauto,user,username=ntuser,workgroup=NT_DOMAIN_NAME   0   0

The "user" option means that a non-root user is able to mount that
filesystem.  To mount that share, the user would just have to type "mount
/mnt/sharename" and then enter their Windows password.  All of the files in
that filesystem will then be owned by the user who mounted it.

~Jeff