grub

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 May 2002 21:02:29 -0700

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 18:10, Gontran Zepeda wrote:
> % Craig White (craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:
> >
> > > Vell, menu file is default /boot/grub/menu.lst, so if you want to use one
> > > called grub.conf you'll have to:
> > > 	# grub --config-file=/boot/grub/grub.conf
> > ---
> > actually this doesn't solve my problem - I try to leave out details that I
> > think aren't important and yes, /boot/grub/menu.lst is a static link
> > to /boot/grub/grub.conf so it hardly seems important.
>
> I'm helpful, not psychic.
----
too bad - it would make you more helpful
;-)
----

> basically:
> grub> root (hd2,0)
> grub> setup (hd2)
> grub> quit
>
> But, I'd double check the drive naming and commands. And since the bios is
> already set to go to the first ide drive -- why not blitz whatever is on
> the mbr there and modify your menu.lst file to boot whatever was there.

-----
ok...
grub --config-file=/boot/grub/menu.1st

grub> root (hd2,0)

grub> setup (hd2)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd2)"...  22 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /grub/stage1 d (hd2) (hd2)1+22 p (hd2,0)/grub/stage2
/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
Done.

I am now remote so I can't test if it will boot if I remove the floppy
because I can't get the floppy to eject remotely but I will test in the
morning.

It worries me that after the first line, the path is /grub/stage1
etc...not /boot/grub/stage1 etc.

Thanks for your help

Craig