grub

Gontran Zepeda plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 May 2002 18:10:57 -0700

% Craig White (craigwhite@azapple.com) wrote:

> > Vell, menu file is default /boot/grub/menu.lst, so if you want to use one
> > called grub.conf you'll have to:
> > 	# grub --config-file=/boot/grub/grub.conf
> ---
> actually this doesn't solve my problem - I try to leave out details that I
> think aren't important and yes, /boot/grub/menu.lst is a static link
> to /boot/grub/grub.conf so it hardly seems important.

I'm helpful, not psychic.

> and when I did as you suggested ...
> leaves me at the grub command ...

That's where you wanna be.

> grub> and I haven't a clue and reading info grub and typing help haven't
> brought light to the dark space of my mind to comprehend this.
>
> I wouldn't really care whether it installs boot loader to either hard
> drive (right now bios tells it to find the IDE drive first) but of
> course, /boot and the / (root) partition are on the SCSI drive (sda or in
> grub parlance - hd2).

basically:
grub> root (hd2,0)
grub> setup (hd2)
grub> quit

But, I'd double check the drive naming and commands. And since the bios is
already set to go to the first ide drive -- why not blitz whatever is on
the mbr there and modify your menu.lst file to boot whatever was there.

Gontran

--
PGLUG - Phoenix GNU/Linux Users Group, it's the right thing[tm] to do.