RMS (again)

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 03 May 2002 15:02:26 -0700

One thing we must not lose sight of:  Stallman was first.
We are all GNU users.  I was a GNU user a few years before
I ever heard of Linux.

He was first to articulate the concept of Free Software and
get the world's attention; he organized the movement that
produced the GNU tools that we now all take for granted,
and without that contribution Linux would not have become
possible -- imagine, we would not be able to turn around in
this business without paying a license fee; would not be
able to publish a patch without risking legal attack.

I remember the cover of the GNU Emacs users' manual that
we were using:  it was illustrated with a cartoon.
An overstuffed rich guy dressed like a banker and
clutching his overflowing bags of money is desperately
fleeing Stallman, who is bearing down on him astride a
snorting gnu.

It was comedic at the time, but it's not quite as funny
today, as Stallman's bogey man becomes more recognizable
and more explicit about demanding his money.

Stallman is what we call "bigger than life" -- he draws
with clear, sharp lines, and this serves a purpose.
And he seems to be enjoying himself to boot.  So it's
not our job to rag on him about press relations or
personal grooming:  he's heard it all before, and he's
made his choices.  And he's not there to make people
comfortable, so deal with it.   ;-)

So, the subject at hand was whether and how to host
another speech by Mr. Stallman.  I was playing it straight,
suggesting that anyone wanting to do that could easily
meet his terms as far as the organization's name was
concerned -- just create a new ad hoc organization and
call it the GNU Users' Group.  Front it with a fresh
handful of people, and all can attend -- just don't slip
and refer to the "Linux Users Group".

I personally don't need to meet him again:  I find him
far more impressive and effective in writing.  But there
may be a fresh batch of people out there who might do
well to meet this indisputably historical figure.

Best regards,

Vic