RMS (again)

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 3 May 2002 12:55:32 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > something related to open source software --
> > we also support GNU, BSD, X11, Mozilla, etc. --
> > but Mr. Stallman wouldn't like that either since
> > not all of "etc" is "Free Software".
>
> Mind you software need not be GPL or from the GNU project to be 'free
> software'.  I am somewhat curious what 'open source' we are promoting
> heavily that is not indeed 'free software'?
>
> All you have listed in your rant are free software.

Are they? If you use RMS' definition: "When we speak of free software, we
are referring to freedom, not price..." then they are not free software.
While I personally agree that a developer/programmer should be allowed to
choose whichever license they prefer- a point not truly to Stallman's
liking- I also realize that doing so may limit the freedom of the end
user. Stallman argues that the end users freedom to change and modify
software should never be restricted. So, while he can be a little
abrasive, and even gets upset that the GNU project was out there before
Linus came along and created a kernel(and got the 'glory' of it being
named Linux) he has a point. Like him or not, he is still free to choose
what he will or won't do.

http://www.xfree86.org/legal/licence.html

"
XFree86 Licensing Information

 The XFree86 Project is committed to providing freely redistributable
binary and source releases. The main licence we use is based on the
traditional Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) X11/X Consortium
licence. Often called the Xll-licence, this licence does not impose any
conditions on the modification or redistribution of either the source code
or binaries other than requiring that copyright and/or licence notices are
left intact. These terms are consistent with the Open Source definition. "

http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html

Mozilla allows for different portions of the software to have different
licensing conditions, thereby allowing some derivative to contain
proprietary code(as I read it).

http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
BSD(and more specifically freeBSD in this case) allows for modification
with no source code distribution requirement- hence M$ use of BSD code in
Windows.

"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
  notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
  documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD PROJECT ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS
OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED... "