RMS (again)

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
03 May 2002 15:07:02 -0700

I'm sorry Stallman was not first. Public Domain Software was first. I
used that long before Stallman popped up. I'll grant there has been a
lot of work done by the FSF and there has been a lot of work done by
others uing the GNU license.

But the first open source software I used as indeed Public Domain
Software and without that there would have been no FSF or GNU. So should
we rename Linux to PDS/X11/add what ever other package licenses you are
to name here/GNU/Linux or simply use what is good, toss the bad and let
the founder of the OS call it what he wants to call it?

Personally, I figure that Linus has earned the right to call it whatever
he wants. Richard can call his compiler and text editor whatever he
wants. Linus says Linux is Linux and that is good enough for me.

Eventually when HURD is ready Richard can call it GNU HERD and I'll call
it that too since it is his.

Cheers,

Davidm