module deps, was Re: PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2060 - 15 msgs

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:08:00 -0700 (MST)

Am 19. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Craig S. so:

> > From: "der.hans" <PLUGd@LuftHans.com>

> > Do a 'uname -r' to make sure your kernel thinks it's 2.4.18.

Is your kernel listing as 2.4.18?

> > What's the timestamp on modules.dep?
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root           0 Mar 19 00:34 modules.dep

Hmm, size of zero is bad.

Try running 'depmod -a' by hand as root and see if that file changes.

> > Was it created after the kernel looked
> > for it?
>
> I assume by this you mean the timestamp on the kernel image bzImage.

Actually, I meant the modules.dep. You answer that below, though.

> rc.modules calls depmod -a before any modules are loaded by it. I think
> rc.modules runs right after rc.S in the startup process.

OK. Is the filesystem mounted r/w when 'depmod -a' is run? Is it out of
space? Do your boot logs show any errors? Check /var/log/* and the output
from 'dmesg'.

> Hmm, no I am not running any RAM disks I am not sure how to check this
> offhand but from everything I have read to this point it would be loaded
> in lilo and there is nothing about initrd in my lilo.conf file.

There won't be until you put it there :). Presumably the kernel would be
bitching about it when you boot, so this is unlikely to be the cause of your
probs.

> Curious that bit above about modules.dep having a filesize of zero.

Yup.

> Oh yeah I figured out the X problem is because Frame buffering is off
> right now and I have X setup to use frame buffering.

Yeah, that could be problematic ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.<ThisSpaceAvailable>.com/
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans