SANE scanner blues

Lee Einer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:50:46 -0700

Hi, All-

I just upgraded my flatbed scanner from my old Microtek to a new Epson
636 SCSI, thinking that it would run well under Corel Linux. I am
having a problem because the version of SANE which came with Corel is
V0.74, and SANE is now on version 1.07. Doesn't look like the archaic
version provided by Corel has a driver for this scanner. Now, I did
try to upgrade with Corel Update.The most current version of SANE
available through Corel Update is 1.01. This is current enough to
break scanimage and GIMP because of dependency issues. It looks like
the only way to get this all working is to update GIMP to 1.1, which
is prominently labeled as "unstable, as well as loading sane-gimp 1.1,
and updating several system files which may or may not break Corel
Linux.

Has anyone else had experience with this issue? Can I do the necessary
upgrades without this all blowing up in my face? How? I hate to use
the "try and see" method when the result may leave my OS fubar.

--
Lee Einer

http://members.cox.net/appealsman/