PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2060 - 15 msgs

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 02:51:14 +0000

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:38:03 -0700 (MST)
> From: "der.hans" <PLUGd@LuftHans.com>
> To: PLUG <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Re: kernel upgrade problems update
>
> Am 18. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Craig S. so:
>
> > the kernel pukes about not being able to locate the modules but if I
> > goto /lib/modules/2.4.18 and look the modules.dep file is there now.
>
> Do a 'uname -r' to make sure your kernel thinks it's 2.4.18.
>
> What's the timestamp on modules.dep?

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           0 Mar 19 00:34 modules.dep

> Was it created after the kernel looked
> for it?

I assume by this you mean the timestamp on the kernel image bzImage.

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root  953423 Mar 19 00:50 bzImage

> Verify that slackware is calling 'depmod -a' early on in the rc
> scripts, specifically before it tries to load the modules.

rc.modules calls depmod -a before any modules are loaded by it. I think rc.modules runs right after rc.S in the startup process.

> Is your kernel expecting an initrd?

Hmm, no I am not running any RAM disks I am not sure how to check this offhand but from everything I have read to this point it would be
loaded in lilo and there is nothing about initrd in my lilo.conf file.

Curious that bit above about modules.dep having a filesize of zero.

Oh yeah I figured out the X problem is because Frame buffering is off right now and I have X setup to use frame buffering.

Craig S.