about SawFish

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:27:07 -0700

  ln> Randomly?? That should make your workday
  ln> interesting.

  David> Well randomly as in "the end user can control
  David> what they are". ... muscle memory ...

As a guy who was born with a keyboard fixation, I can
relate to muscle memory.

  David> \_ Good! Is it safe to install the RPM on RH 7.1, or
  David> \_ should I get the .tgz and build it from source?

  David> It can't hurt...much. :-)

Yeah, it can. But maybe not much in this case.

I downloaded the 1.0.1 sawfish RPM and tried to install
it, but was blocked beause I need librep >= 0.1.14.
What I've got in RH 7.1 is 0.1.13.

I'm inclined on the basis of previous experience *not*
to go blindly installing libraries on a system if I
ever hope to reboot it again.

However, in this case I'm guessing from the name that
the only thing librep consists of is is the actual
implementation of the rep language, which would have no
impact on the system other than on how Sawfish works.

Am I right? (What else makes use of librep?)

I tried to use rpmfind to get the "latest", but being
smart, it doesn't want to just grab some randomly
updated library, so it returned 1.13.something. Sigh.

Sooooo ... off to sourceforge I went, and found a
librep-0.15.2-1, but when I tried to install it, it
says that librep-0.13.3-1 is newer than
librep-0.15.2-1. Hmmm. Didn't install it. So I tried to
uninstall librep-0.13.3-1, but that would break
dependencies on sawfish, which is not a problem,
because I'm trying to update that, and can uninstall,
and also on rep-gtk-0.15.3. Rats. I don't know what
that is, and I don't have the RH disks handy, so I
suppose I ought to see if I can snag the latest version
of rep-gtk and have it standing by, then unstall the
0.15.3 version, then sawfish, then install librep, then
the new sawfish.

Does this sound right?

That's a general question addressed to anyone reading
this.

Meanwhile, I'm back to Enlightenment in order to be
able to get something done.

  David> See workspaces under sawfish-ui. See
  David> 'next-workspace', 'previous-workspace',
  David> 'move-viewport-{down,left,right,up}' under
  David> bindings.

Ummm ... are you talking man pages, info file, or what?

Thanks for the input.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ