about SawFish

Eric Thelin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:23:26 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, David A. Sinck wrote:

> \_ SMTP quoth Lynn David Newton on 3/6/2002 13:16 as having spake thusly:
> \_
> \_
> \_   David> E has eye candy...but not the one feature I
> \_   David> wanted (binding mouse keys randomly).
> \_
> \_ Randomly?? That should make your workday interesting.

It isn't random but it is very flexible ;)  You can bind any window
manager action to any mouse button when clicking on various types of WM
decorations.

But I suppose if you want to try something "interesting" I am sure that
you could write it in rep.

> Well randomly as in "the end user can control what they are".  E
> couldn't.  I had 10+ years of muscle memory withing mouse bindings in
> certain places, and Raster's idea of acceptable wasn't in muscle
> memory.  :-)
>
> \_ Good! Is it safe to install the RPM on RH 7.1, or
> \_ should I get the .tgz and build it from source?
>
> It can't hurt...much.  :-)

I don't run RH 7.1 but I am pretty sure that it will work fine.

> \_   David> \_ ... seems to be lacking
> \_   David> \_ entirely some features I want and need, or at least
> \_   David> \_ that I haven't been able to locate readily.
> \_
> \_   David> What are you looking for? Depending, you can
> \_   David> write it yourself.
> \_
> \_ Ha! Maybe in a few months when I get the time to learn
> \_ rep.
>
> If you've done elisp, rep isn't all that different.

Start by looking at the config files in .sawfish/*.  They are generated
by the UI tool and will give you an idea of where to start.

> \_ For now I just want to be able to use the
> \_ configuration tools that are provided so I can get up
> \_ to speed and not feel crippled.
> \_
> \_ My problem is undoubtedly simply one of terminology, of
> \_ not knowing what's what and what's where.
> \_
> \_ FWIW, one of the primary features I depend on in a
> \_ window manager (or desktop manager, whatever component
> \_ supplies it), is a virtual desktop with a pager, as
> \_ it's called in FVWM. BTW, I used FVWM for years,
> \_ without a desktop manager.
>
> See workspaces under sawfish-ui.  See 'next-workspace',
> 'previous-workspace', 'move-viewport-{down,left,right,up}' under
> bindings.

What you are looking for is viewports NOT workspaces.

> \_ What I *do* have presently operating is a teeeeny-tiny
> \_ virtual window map called a "Desk Guide" in my panel,
> \_ with each page taking up about 1/16-inch of real
> \_ estate. I need a virtual desktop navigation system on
> \_ my desktop. (In Enlightenment I use keyboard commands
> \_ to shuffle them 90% of the time rather than clicking on
> \_ the pager map, but I haven't had Sawfish running long
> \_ enough to start binding keys. It's only been up an
> \_ hour.)
>
> Track down spager...it might do what you want.

If you are running gnome then desk guide is what you want.  Since you are
use to jumping views with keys you may want to bind 'set-viewport-linear
n' to keys where n is the number of the view port starting with 0.  I bind
mine to Alt-Fn (or technically Alt-F(n+1) since there is no F0).

> \_   David> My first amusement was writing code to allow
> \_   David> windows to be moved/resized using elliptical
> \_   David> outlines.
> \_
> \_ That I'd love to see.
>
> I'll stall for a few and see if there's enough demand for an on-list
> posting otherwise I'll mail privately.  I also have something
> resembling 'draft' or 'technical' mode in E and a 'cross' mode.  It's
> really easy.

That would be cool.  Please send it to me as well.

Eric
--
Eric Thelin                                          erict@aztechbiz.com
           AZtechBiz.com: Where Arizona Does Tech Business