applying kernel patches -- just 2 more quick questions

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 20:36:35 -0700

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:12:50 -0700 (MST)
> From: Patrick Fleming EA <pfleming@infomagic.net>
> To: PLUG <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Re: applying kernel patches
>

> Message: 6
> Subject: Re: applying kernel patches
> From: Bryce C <plug@bryceco.net>
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> Date: 26 Jul 2002 16:10:14 -0700
>
> The patch is to patch up to 2.4.18.  Not a patch for 2.4.18.

ahhh ok. Thank you.

I guess then my next question would be:

Is it better to patch or just get the whole image? I thought I read somewhere (wish I remembered where I saw this) that patching sometimes messes up the header libraries so it is better to get whole images. Seems like this would defeat the purpose of a patch though. Maybe that was just for going to different kernel version like 2.0.x to 2.2.x or 2.2.x to 2.4.x.

Another question I guess is:

Why is it that when I do searches for how-to docs at tldp.org I hardly ever get the how to I want in the search list? The recent search string I used in their search box was 'cox @home'. I got all kinds of crap other than a how-to for setting up a dhcp connection to cox at home. Am I the only one having this problem or have others noticed this as well?