applying kernel patches -- just 2 more quick questions

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 07:37:56 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Craig S. wrote:

> > Message: 5
> > Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:12:50 -0700 (MST)
> > From: Patrick Fleming EA <pfleming@infomagic.net>
> > To: PLUG <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> > Subject: Re: applying kernel patches
> >

> > Message: 6
> > Subject: Re: applying kernel patches
> > From: Bryce C <plug@bryceco.net>
> > To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> > Date: 26 Jul 2002 16:10:14 -0700
> >
> > The patch is to patch up to 2.4.18.  Not a patch for 2.4.18.
>

> ahhh ok. Thank you.
>
> I guess then my next question would be:
>
> Is it better to patch or just get the whole image? I thought I read
> somewhere (wish I remembered where I saw this) that patching sometimes
> messes up the header libraries so it is better to get whole images.
> Seems like this would defeat the purpose of a patch though. Maybe that
> was just for going to different kernel version like 2.0.x to 2.2.x or
> 2.2.x to 2.4.x.

I don't know all of the reasons not to patch- but some really good
reasons to patch are when the 'main' kernel doesn't have the functions
that you want. I patched ext3 into the kernel before it was in the full
tree. That being said it is faster to download the patches to bring your
kernel up to date than to download the full image each time.

> Another question I guess is:
>
> Why is it that when I do searches for how-to docs at tldp.org I hardly
> ever get the how to I want in the search list? The recent search string
> I used in their search box was 'cox @home'. I got all kinds of crap
> other than a how-to for setting up a dhcp connection to cox at home. Am
> I the only one having this problem or have others noticed this as well?

I don't really use the search function over there. I tend to read the
index so I have an idea what is available and go from there.