Samba Config

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
31 Jan 2002 06:01:47 -0700

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 23:13, Kevin Brown wrote:
> Samba is the SMB network file handler for *nix that does what Windows Network
> Neighborhood/sharing is for.  When mounting a remote partition with it you
> always specify that it is smbfs, not what it actually is because the remote box
> is going to interpret your calls for you.
>
> This allows linux to mount remote NTFS partitions because linux isn't seeing it
> as NTFS (for which it only has a very buggy read-only module), but as an smbfs
> which samba and windows file sharing know how to deal with.
>
> on boxes that you want to remotely mount partitions FROM, you have to have
> samba/"windows file sharing" running/enabled.  On the machines that will be
> mounting remote systems you should only need the samba client tools.
>
> The easiest way to auto mount a remote file system on boot is NOT /etc/fstab,
> but through a boot script, just like is used by other services.
>
> WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!!
> do NOT issue a shutdown or reboot while a remote smbfs is MOUNTED on your
> machine or it WILL HANG.  This is a long standing known issue with samba.
> MANUALLY unmount the smbfs BEFORE you shutdown the machine.  This cannot be done
> by a script, it must be done manually.
>
> END WARNING
-------------
I'm not gonna comment on the advice 'not' to add a remote smbfs mount to
fstab, but I will state that I have such a setup now, have had that for
several years and have never hung on shutdown/reboot. I don't know about
long standing issue with samba...I have not had the problem thru many
different versions of redhat (6.0/6.1/6.2/7.0/7.1/7.2) nor samba (I'm
now at 2.2.1a but I have used many 2.0x versions).

Perhaps ignorance is bliss but I find remote smbfs quite suitable to
automatically mount via fstab. Remote NFS mounts as auto mounts, that's
another story...

Craig