Samba Config

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:17:41 -0700

This was my experience with samba at my last job.  A shell script was setup to
automount a remote smbfs to the linux box (RH 6.x/7.x).  Another script was
written to unmount that filesystem during shutdown.  Instead the system hung
trying to shutdown and would have to be improperly turned off (push the power
button) and then have the joy of waiting for it to fsck 60GB of space.  The only
solution found from searching the web came from the samba mailing list which
stated that it was an issue with samba and that it was best to just manually
unmount those shares before shutting down.  This issue showed up with the
version coming with RH6.1 IIRC and was still there in RH7.2.

Wish I still had a pointer to that message.  I showed it to my coworkers at ASU
since they were the ones that asked me to research the problem.