Samba Config

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:13:52 -0700

Samba is the SMB network file handler for *nix that does what Windows Network
Neighborhood/sharing is for.  When mounting a remote partition with it you
always specify that it is smbfs, not what it actually is because the remote box
is going to interpret your calls for you.

This allows linux to mount remote NTFS partitions because linux isn't seeing it
as NTFS (for which it only has a very buggy read-only module), but as an smbfs
which samba and windows file sharing know how to deal with.

on boxes that you want to remotely mount partitions FROM, you have to have
samba/"windows file sharing" running/enabled.  On the machines that will be
mounting remote systems you should only need the samba client tools.

The easiest way to auto mount a remote file system on boot is NOT /etc/fstab,
but through a boot script, just like is used by other services.

WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!!
do NOT issue a shutdown or reboot while a remote smbfs is MOUNTED on your
machine or it WILL HANG.  This is a long standing known issue with samba.
MANUALLY unmount the smbfs BEFORE you shutdown the machine.  This cannot be done
by a script, it must be done manually.

END WARNING