Evolution on RedHat 7.2

Nancy Sollars plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:14:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "sm" <sm@vis.nu>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 7:40 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Evolution on RedHat 7.2

> > I run RH7.2 and KDE.  I have been down this road.  I won't go there
> > again.  I have watched this thread hoping someone would have a
> > solution because I would love to try Evolution.
> >
> > Evolution is Ximian's "killer app" and it is very tied to their
> > desktop.  It is beyond my skill to figure out how to run Evolution
> > without running the Ximian desktop.
> >
> > I will stick with KDE the suite of "K" apps for now.  They work well
> > for me.
> >

> I had the same feeling when I was trying the evolution betas.  I had to
> satisfy a million dependencies I normally didn't need on my KDE desktop.

Youl always have dependencie issues using RPM its what RPM was made for ..

> I got it working after about a day of work.  And I must admit, it looked
> good.
>
> Then a week later and KMail supported IMAP.  What I needed with less
> dependencies to watch over.  The executive summary is nice, but nothing I
> couldn't do (or in some cases, wasn't already doing) with other tools.
>
> Honestly, if you've seen my desktop, you'd know the last thing I need is
> another app giving me extraneous information.  I've just become *too* used
> to knowing what the weather in space is like.  At one point, I needed to
> know that. :)
>
> Now, if I could only figure out how to get kmail to alert me to new
> messages on my IMAP mailboxes, things would be great. :)
>
> And hey, there's other KDE people out there..  I thought I was alone. :)

I will agree that KDE looks nice ,, But yes there is a but .. its way to
bloaty the thing bloody grows filling /tmp with mindless crap .. so not only
does it install a bed of useless apps but also creates temp files/dir in
/tmp .. I was quick to remove KDE when I saw this .. So who knows what KDE 2
does .. its prolly capable to take over your whole desktop..

I now use XFCE or the Amiga desktop ... installing only the apps I want and
creating the menu system accordingly ..

I found having a very lightweight X installation ment i could get top
proformance out of oogle xine quake3 UT and Heretic 2 ...

Nige