Evolution on RedHat 7.2

sm plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:40:51 -0700 (MST)

> I run RH7.2 and KDE.  I have been down this road.  I won't go there
> again.  I have watched this thread hoping someone would have a
> solution because I would love to try Evolution.
>
> Evolution is Ximian's "killer app" and it is very tied to their
> desktop.  It is beyond my skill to figure out how to run Evolution
> without running the Ximian desktop.
>
> I will stick with KDE the suite of "K" apps for now.  They work well
> for me.

I had the same feeling when I was trying the evolution betas.  I had to
satisfy a million dependencies I normally didn't need on my KDE desktop.
I got it working after about a day of work.  And I must admit, it looked
good.

Then a week later and KMail supported IMAP.  What I needed with less
dependencies to watch over.  The executive summary is nice, but nothing I
couldn't do (or in some cases, wasn't already doing) with other tools.

Honestly, if you've seen my desktop, you'd know the last thing I need is
another app giving me extraneous information.  I've just become *too* used
to knowing what the weather in space is like.  At one point, I needed to
know that. :)

Now, if I could only figure out how to get kmail to alert me to new
messages on my IMAP mailboxes, things would be great. :)

And hey, there's other KDE people out there..  I thought I was alone. :)