K-Mail

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:07:33 -0700

OK, I'm still very much a Linux newbie.  What does any of this mean?  My incoming and outgoing email are on 2 different servers from 2 different domains.  The outgoing one requires authentication of the account/password I have with that ISP which is not the domain of the incoming email.  To be able to send as from the incoming address I need to pass the account and password of the outgoing server.  I don't know what an "outgoing mail daemon" or "postfix" is.

-----Original Message-----
From: William Lindley [mailto:wlindley@wlindley.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 8:01 AM
To: 'PLUG Email list'
Subject: Re: K-Mail

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> I now need to "authenticate" to a different account when I send.

Is this the dreaded POP-before-SMTP issue?

The right way to solve this is to have your outgoing mail daemon do the
POP each time it wants to send SMTP.  Unfortunately, the Postfix
developers were livid that I suggested that, despite their long ramblings
about how to *require* POP-before-SMTP.

Go figure.

Also eagerly awaiting a solution,

\\/