Free Software (was : Re: Linux for small business)

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:46:25 -0700

> > take the fruits of my labor without compensating me at all. It reads
> > very communistic.   NO THANKS!!!!
>
> I question your understanding of communism. Under a communistic gov't
> the gov't makes decisions for you and doesn't allow you to decide your
> own future. Free Software guarantees you those same freedoms that
> communism takes away. Those freedoms are actually taken away by
> proprietary software. Hmm, are corporations the true communists?

I guess I dont get the communist rhetoric theme.  The FSF has always likened it to 'helping your neighbor'.  I guess in this day and age actually doing something help your neighbor and not getting a boat load of cash in return makes you a communist.

I will state opinion here.  I fell in love with GNU/Linux and the community.  I didnt have extra money to give back to the community, but I did have time.  So I made it my mission to get involved in a project (now Im involved in too many) and that I would actively write documetation and submit bug reports to any software I used that was free.  It is my way of helping carry the load.  I wont lie ther are plenty of people that want everything for free and give nothing in return.  Should that make one not want to give to others?