Free Software (was : Re: Linux for small business)

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:41:10 -0700

> I read as much as I could stand of the gnu philosophy.  In essence it
> says I am NOT FREE to own what I create but everyone else is FREE to
> consume and take the fruits of my labor without compensating me at
> all. It reads very communistic.   NO THANKS!!!!

I have a hard time believing you have really read it then.  That or you didnt understand it.  Can you please point me SPECIFICALLY to the text you read that said something you write you do not own?  The GPL does nothing more than use copyright to free the chains of copyright.  Last I looked copyright involved an owner.

In fact, how do you think companies like AOL are able to dual license software?  Its because they OWN the copyright.

> With this said, I am going to exercise my freedom to end this
> conversation as I do not believe I will change your mind and I know
> you will not change mine.

That is fair enough.  Opinions are great, but saying that the GPL steals your rights as a copyright holder is FUD pure and simple.  If you want to say I dont like the GPL or the GPL feels communistic to me, or I feel its hard to make money on GPL software, those are all opinions and they are fun to debate, but please dont spread lies as truth.

-Derek