Zone Alarm

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:49:17 -0700

I highly doubt that ZoneAlarm trashed your hard disk.  It sounds more to me
like you had a hard disk failure that just happened to occur right after
upgrading ZoneAlarm.  There probably is no relation to the two events.  Glad
to hear you found another suitable substitute though.  Choices are always
good.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Victor Odhner" <vodhner@cox.net>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2002 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: Zone Alarm

alandd@mindspring.com wrote:
> Zone Alarm ... works well and is easy enough
> for my dad to use.  When my Windows box at home
> was directly on the DSL line, it was completely
> stealth to all the security testing web sites I
> checked it with.

I am now using Tiny Personal Firewall, and it
also presents complete stealth to the Net.

Zone Alarm trashed my system once, to the point
where I had to buy a new hard disk and do a
total re-install of Win98 before I could restore
access to the Net.  I had a lot of advice on this
to no avail, and we'll never know what happened.

The new install, to a new hard disk, broke
a lot of my installed programs, and some of
them remain broken.  Pity.  (*&^$# that Registry!)

The trouble happened when ZoneAlarm announced
a new update and I said yes to upgrade to the
new version.

I liked ZoneAlarm -- used it for a year -- but
Tiny works great too.

Vic

---