Zone Alarm

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:47:07 -0700

alandd@mindspring.com wrote:
> Zone Alarm ... works well and is easy enough
> for my dad to use.  When my Windows box at home
> was directly on the DSL line, it was completely
> stealth to all the security testing web sites I
> checked it with.

I am now using Tiny Personal Firewall, and it
also presents complete stealth to the Net.

Zone Alarm trashed my system once, to the point
where I had to buy a new hard disk and do a
total re-install of Win98 before I could restore
access to the Net.  I had a lot of advice on this
to no avail, and we'll never know what happened.

The new install, to a new hard disk, broke
a lot of my installed programs, and some of
them remain broken.  Pity.  (*&^$# that Registry!)

The trouble happened when ZoneAlarm announced
a new update and I said yes to upgrade to the
new version.

I liked ZoneAlarm -- used it for a year -- but
Tiny works great too.

Vic