Serious cabling problem

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:29:23 -0700

Kimi, if you've got 100-pair 12 year old telco cable you won't be able
to use it like Cat5.  If you can find good pairs, it'll work for analog
phone or possibly ...er, LocalTalk - dark-ages Appletalk LAN that's only
of historical interest.

FWIW: If you get fiber installed, it's well worth it to run some extra
pairs for redundancy or expansion.  More economical than adding them
later and really handy when one fails.

If the buildings are only 50 feet apart, I'd be pricing 100-foot Cat5
patch cables and conduit; I'm prone to cheap kluges, a.k.a. "field
expedient" solutions though.