Article: Free Software Foundation targets RTLinux for GPLviolations

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:03:25 +0000

"John (EBo) David" wrote:
> Oh frazelsnarf! That explains why I have not seen RTLinux embeded in the
> standard kernal.  I never could understand why.  You know, someone
> should write a kernal patch that does handels the real time determinism
> embeded in the kernel and be done with it...  THis pisses me off enough
> that I'm just about willing to help (not that I do not already have
> enough to do)...

While the FSF isnt able to prosecute RTLinux for GPL violations, they
did say they would support anyone who used the GPL licensing. This
means that the FSF has basically stated it would support the
distribution of RTLinux under the GPL, because it should be covered
under the GPL. So if you are a developer, come up with a program that
uses or requires the extensions present in RTLinux, and then
distribute it, along with RTLinux, under the GPL. Should RTLinux
attempt to prosecute, then the full might of the FSF could be brought
to against them in a court of law.

The only alternative is to have someone who has contributed to the
kernel, such as Linus himself, file charges against RTLinux.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|