basic server question

Eric plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:54:25 -0800

ok great, that's what i need.  i hope you don't mind, since you have done
this successfully, if i pry a bit more.  :)

I too have qworst as DSL line provider AND as an ISP (i.e., MSN--arghh).  I
have one a cisco 675, one static IP, a Linux firewall experiment, and an
internal network with 192.168.x.x addresses.

The goal is to make this work with only one static address, even though my
cisco 675 is IN FRONT of my linux firewall.  You are saying this is possible
if I set the 675 to briding mode?  Then connect it with a crossover to the
Linux firewall which gets the static IP?  Then from there a patch cable to
the hub and the rest of my 192.168.x.x internal network.

But it is confusing to me that the Linux box IS the one that gets the static
IP, even though the 675 is "in front" of it.  How does this work?  Is it
that if the 675 is in bridging mode, it gets an IP address via DHCP?  Will
qworst allow this since I am currently leasing a static IP?

Or does the 675 not get an IP when it is in bridging mode (that is probably
a dumb question).

Did you find some instructions for this on the Net, or did you just figure
it out?