basic server question

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:36:06 -0700

Depends on the configuration of the DSL modem.

In my case I have Qwest for the DSL line and Qwest as my ISP (soon to be MSN,
aargh).  The 675 is setup in PPP mode.  This means that it gets the Net routable
IP (216.160.x.x).  It acts as a DHCP server for all the machines behind it
feeding up 10.0.0.x addresses to the machines and does NAT so that these
machines can talk to the Internet.

Phone line --> DSL rotuer --> Hub/Switch --> Rest of your network

Previously it had been configured in Bridging mode.  In this case it acts as a
media converter ONLY and the Net routable IP would be served up to the machine
that is hooked up to it with the crossover cable that it came with.  In this
scenario is when the *nix (Unix, linux, BSD, FreeSCO) box will come into play.

Phone line --> DSL router --> Firewall --> Hub/Switch --> Rest of your network

So, how the 675 gets setup is dependent on your ISP.