basic server question

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:36:51 -0700

> ok great, that's what i need.  i hope you don't mind, since you have done
> this successfully, if i pry a bit more.  :)
>
> I too have qworst as DSL line provider AND as an ISP (i.e., MSN--arghh).  I
> have one a cisco 675, one static IP, a Linux firewall experiment, and an
> internal network with 192.168.x.x addresses.
>
> The goal is to make this work with only one static address, even though my
> cisco 675 is IN FRONT of my linux firewall.  You are saying this is possible
> if I set the 675 to briding mode?  Then connect it with a crossover to the
> Linux firewall which gets the static IP?  Then from there a patch cable to
> the hub and the rest of my 192.168.x.x internal network.

The mode of the DSL router is determined by the ISP.  You may have a different
setup with Qwest than I do since I'm not paying the fee for a static IP address
(was something like $15 extra a month).  If the linux firewall is already
getting the Net routable IP (i.e. not 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.I forget.x.x)
from the DSL line then there is nothing to do to the 675, just leave it alone
and forget about it.

> But it is confusing to me that the Linux box IS the one that gets the static
> IP, even though the 675 is "in front" of it.  How does this work?  Is it
> that if the 675 is in bridging mode, it gets an IP address via DHCP?  Will
> qworst allow this since I am currently leasing a static IP?

The 675 in bridging mode acts as a Media Converter, converting from RJ-11 (phone
line) to RJ-45 (networking) and doesn't do anything else.

> Or does the 675 not get an IP when it is in bridging mode (that is probably
> a dumb question).

The 675 ONLY gets an IP when in PPP mode, NOT bridging.

> Did you find some instructions for this on the Net, or did you just figure
> it out?

I've had qwest/uswest for DSL for 2 years now.  I started out with the 675 in
Bridging mode and had to setup a linux firewall to allow all 6 machines to surf
the web.  Then it got changed to PPP mode by Qwest/USWest and since they hadn't
been billing me for the line due to a screw up on their part they had to push
the paperwork through again, so I got a second 675 configured for PPP mode and
didn't have to do anything with the other one that was in bridging mode, just
swap the two out, give the new one my login/password and off I went.  The
firewall went away, the 675 got hooked into the hub and the machines were
reconfigured to use DHCP to get a 10.0.0.x IP address, DNS servers, etc... from
the 675 modem.