New box + reformatting hdb1

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 02:20:22 -0700

Good point.

It wasn't clear to me whether there are two drives or one drive with two partitions.  Remember, one drive with two partitions shows up as two devices in windows (and elsewhere).  I was assuming one drive.  If there are two ... then the answer is trivial.  Just bring up fdisk, switch to the 2nd drive delete the partitions, set new partitions, reboot into DOS (I would, just to be safe), and then boot into Linux and let it take things from there.

Come to think of it, I was messing around with Debian 2.2 and seem to recall it was quite happy installing on a FAT32 partition -- in fact, it appeared that it can handle just about any format around.  OTOH, NT4 can't handle FAT32, just FAT16 and NTFS.  So I'm wondering if there isn't a more subtle problem afoot...

-David