New box + reformatting hdb1

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 04:56:34 +0000 (GMT)

David,

Quite right, you can do it from the command prompt. If I remember the original post correctly he had two hard drives - Windows 98 on the first and the second simply formated FAT32. In that case wouldn't deleting the partition and then letting the Red Hat partition and format to it's liking work?  I think that's what SUSE did when I installed it. Of course, I'm assuming he doesn't want to access the second drive from Windows or that one of the partitions on the second drive would be FAT16.

Dennis Kibbe

Quoting "David P. Schwartz" <davids@desertigloo.com>:

> You don't need to do this from a startup disk.  Just boot to DOS (Start
> | restart | boot to DOS) then cd to c:\windows\command (if it's not in
> your path) and run fdisk.  View the partitions (option 4, if I recall).
> Assuming there are two partitions, you want to delete the second one.
> It's likely that there is the Primary partition and an Extended
> partition that contains one or possibly more Secondary partitions.  You
> need to first delete the Secondary partition if it exists, then delete
> the Extended partition.  Then you'd just run the regular partitioning
> tool and grab the rest of the disk space.
<SNIP>

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/